Sunday, September 30, 2007

What a Wonderful Life !



George Bailey and I lead parallel lives. Would the world be better without us? Hardly! Friday night, I witnessed a wedding like no other. Magic and joy combined for a wonderful experience. Around me were so many people, all so happy, together for a special moment in time. My work created this event. Let me explain!


For ten years, I held a demanding job in Manhattan that stressed me for everything I was worth. One of my responsibilities was maintaining a creative staff to meet the demands of all my clients. In a world dominated by per diem temporary help, continuous recruitment was the rule. I met a lot of people! I also introduced them to each other and watched the drama unfurl. It was often quite a show in itself!


Without my passion for discovering new talent, this evening's event would not be happening! I hired the groom in 1997. I hired the bride in 1999. I hired one of the bridesmaids in 2000. I also hired Stephanie, Deborah, Kevin, Bob, Christine and Jody. David, Chuck and Larry worked for me too. If I hadn't created this community, so many things may not have occurred. Now they were all together and two of them were getting married! Even if I had the smallest role in creating this event, I was so proud!


The affair was charming. Staged in a historic mansion overlooking the Hudson Valley, the view and the sunset were stunning. A passing rain cleansed the air. During the informal ceremony, a single brown bat soared in the distance gathering its dinner. (Was it an omen?) Bagpipers, delightfully echoing throughout the evening, made the wedding whole. It was a night to remember.


From the moment I arrived, I felt like George Bailey (from the classic movie 'It's a Wonderful Life') right after he regained his mortal soul. My enthusiasm for life, and this moment in time, was boundless. I had retired from my exhausting job and lifestyle about a year ago and had not seen my old employees in a long time. Both the bride and groom were two of the best people I ever hired. I was so honored to be invited to their wedding. All my other ex-employees were remarkable, unique and so much fun to be with. Attractive, charming, creative and artistic, my friends were all perfect complements to each other, especially the bride and groom!


Everyone needs a boost in their self esteem from time to time. This was my night. My wife was so enchanting, heavenly and beautiful. The evening reminded me of our night years ago. How I loved being there with her sharing this delight! The wedding and reception was a touch of class. The music and food added perfection. Can you tell I had a great time? I was so glad to be alive and know so many exceptional people. I'll always remember this night as a culmination of ten years of strenuous work. Now, the bride and groom are off to Tahiti. On the night of their wedding, I was in paradise too! No man is a failure who has friends. On this night, I was the richest man in town. What a wonderful life!

No comments: